Personal InsuranceCorporate Insurance

Frequently Asked Questions


What do I do if I have an auto accident?
There are 4 steps to take. First, notify the police. Second, exchange information with the other driver(s) involved in the accident. Third, contact your insurance agent or company as soon as you possibly can. Fourth, do all of the required steps your insurance company asks you to do.

What should I think about when buying car insurance?
First, decide what optional coverage's you want and need. Look at your situation and don't be fooled into buying something you don't need.

How can I lower my car insurance premium?
There are a number of things you can do. First, ask for discounts that are available on your current policy, hold multiple insurance policies with the same carrier and increase your deductible.

Does my personal auto policy cover me when I rent a car?
For this one, call your insurance agent for advice. Many states mandate that your insurance company provide coverage when you are renting a vehicle. Also, rental contracts place additional contractual liability on the rentee.


How do I file a homeowner claim?
It is important to realize that if you don't follow the required steps, it could result in nonpayment by the insurance company. First, notify the police in the case of a robbery. Second notify the insurance company as soon as you realize there has been damage or loss of property. Third, prepare a detailed list of the things damaged or missing. Fourth, be prepared to show the insurance company the damaged goods. And finally, complete a statement, for the insurance company, that details what happened before, during and after the loss occurred.

How can I lower my home insurance premium?
There are a number of things you can do. They include, asking for discounts available on your current policy, hold multiple policies with the same carrier, and increase your deductible.

What should I think about when buying home insurance?
First, purchase the amount necessary to replace your home, not your mortgage. Your coverage could be larger than the amount of your mortgage for several reasons including the cost of rebuilding. Second, determine the amount of personal liability and personal property coverage you'll need. Third, see if you'll need additional endorsements like flood or earthquake insurance, or increased coverage for items such as jewelry, guns and computers.

Is my personal property covered away from home?
With the exception of specifically excluded items, your personal property is covered when you are away from home. It is considered your property once you have purchased it, regardless of whether it has ever been in your home or not.

Do I need Flood or Earthquake Insurance?
Damages due to several types of natural disasters are not covered under standard insurance policies. If you live somewhere where floods, earthquakes etc. happen, strongly consider adding an endorsement to your homeowner's policy. If you are in a specific area, such as a flood hazard zone, your mortgage company will inform you of any additional coverage that is required.


What should I think about when buying Life Insurance?
There are several factors to consider. They include

  1. How much do I need?
  2. What type of insurance do you need?
  3. How long do you think you will need the coverage?
  4. What if any, extras do you need on your policy?
  5. If it's term insurance, is it convertible?

How much Life Insurance should I own?
Opinions vary widely on this subject with some experts saying roughly 6-8 times annual earnings and some saying 10-14 times annual earnings. It all depends on your particular situation. For more information on how to determine how much life insurance is right for you, please contact our office at your earliest convenience or fill out the Life Insurance Questionnaire in the Resource section.

What is cash value?
Cash value is the interest earning section of a whole, variable or universal life insurance policy. Part of your annual premium goes to the cash value and earns interest.

How can I lower my Life Insurance premium?
Life insurance is based on several different factors. Among them are health, age, avocation and occupation. In some cases you can do nothing about any of them. In other cases, lowering your weight or stopping smoking can lower your life insurance rates.

Student/Recent Graduate Insurance

I am a college student, am I still covered by my parents' policies?
It depends on the policy and its terms. For example, most Health insurance policies cover insured's' children up to age 18, or up to age 26 if the child continues as a full time student. If you are over 18 and not a full time student, you'll need your own Health insurance policy.

While I am in college is my personal property covered?
Ask your insurance agent about special coverages available for this situation.